The SLM Travel Grant Program provides funding to graduate students in an effort to defray the cost of attending academic and professional conferences. Travel grants are awarded on the basis of merit and are intended to partially reimburse transportation, lodging, registration, and membership expenses. Students who will be attending a conference where they will be presenting are eligible to receive a grant towards their travel expenses.
Not all students who complete the application will receive a grant. Grants are never more than $500.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, with deadlines every two months (see below).
The Travel Grant Application can be found here. There are a number of guidelines to consider when filling out the form:
- Each student is eligible to receive one travel grant per academic year. If you apply unsuccessfully, you may apply for a different conference in the same academic year.
- Students must be applying for funding toward attendance at an academic or professional conference.
- Applicants will be notified of the status of their application within approximately 15 business days of the deadline.
- Students who are awarded funds must seek reimbursement of expenses after travel.
- The form must be completed in its entirety to be considered.
• Applications submitted between February 1 and March 31. Award decisions will be made no later than April 15th.
• Applications submitted between April 1 and May 31. Award decisions will be made no later than June 15th.
• Applications submitted between June 1 and July 31. Award decisions will be made no later than August 15th.
• Applications submitted between August 1 and September 30. Award decisions will be made no later than October 15th.
• Applications submitted between October 1 and November 30. Award decisions will be made no later than December 15th.
• Applications submitted between December 1 and January 31. Award decisions will be made no later than February 15th.